Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11, 2011

     I turned on NPR this morning as I do most mornings. I am listening to the continuous coverage of remembrance of the events of ten years ago and I find asking myself some difficult questions. Some of which I have the answers to and some I don't. The first question is, "do I want to listen to the drama and reliving of these events again?" The truth is, "no, I don't.” so I turn it off.
     What really prompted this morning's musing are the numerous reports of how difficult it appears to be for reporters to access the memorial site this morning, which hints at how difficult it is for anyone to get near the site. Reports of roadblocks everywhere, police, guards, and fences forcing detours. Secret Service are all around to protect President Obama and former President Bush who will be there today to speak. I found it remarkable that the report had to explicitly state Obama and Bush are not there for political reasons but to address the crowds to mark this anniversary. My, how interesting that we, the people, must be reminded this is not a political occasion; but that is a topic for another day.
      Here are the hard questions I am asking of myself. Do roadblocks really protect us? Are we responding or reacting? In addition, is the from a place of strength or from a place of fear? Are we letting others determine our sense of freedom? Are we free? How do we define freedom? Questions worth pondering with one's self and others. The reporting this morning brought to mind the image of one taking a deep breath and puffing up his/her chest to exhibit a show of strength. It's a feeble image.   
       It is in moments like this that I turn to my beloved Book of Common Prayer to find guidance and words of confidence. For comfort in this time and always:
  
V.    Show us your mercy, O Lord;
R.    And grant us your salvation.
V.    Clothe your ministers with righteousness;
R.    Let your people sing with joy.
V.    Give peace, O Lord, in all the world;
R.    For only in you can we live in safety.
V.    Lord, keep this nation under your care;
R.    And guide us in the way of justice and truth.
V.    Let your way be known upon earth;
R.    Your saving health among all nations.
V.    Let not the needy, O Lord, be forgotten;
R.    Nor the hope of the poor be taken away.
V.    Create in us clean hearts, O God;
R.    And sustain us with your Holy Spirit.  
                                                                                                                        1979 Book of Common Prayer p 97

Thanks be to God. Amen

       
                                                                            
     

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you Cowgirl...too much information...information overload. One time is enough. Thanks for the pray to center my mind and soul.

    ReplyDelete